RE: [TowerTalk] Non-metallic towers and guy wires

To: "Dave Christensen" <Dave.Christensen@sesincusa.com>,Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Non-metallic towers and guy wires
From: "Chris BONDE" <ve7hcb@rac.ca>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:32:30 -0800
If wood is not an option for non-metallic or conduiting mast have you looked at
the
plastic pipe.  There are different types of PVC.  I do not know them all but
check
into the UV protected type, say electric conduit, and if supporting wire only
guys
may be needed.  If more than that then some type of filler into the pipe to
stiffen it.
I think that there are a number of plastics that will foam and fill and
strengthen.
Talk to a plastics tech or gear.

One thing that I was told was donot use only the 'glue'  to hold the joints but
over-lap
the joints with spit sections and clamps.

Please let me know how you do, as I would like to make such a mast to hold up
some verticals and inverted V's that I have in mind.  Maybe they will come out
of
that small mind and do something.

Chris opr VE7HCB