[TowerTalk] AV-640 Vertical

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] AV-640 Vertical
From: dxingman@att.net
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 04:50:10 +0000
I have been reading many years of Reflector Archives on TT, but have never
seen a post relating to the Hy-Gain "Patriot" AV-640 eight band vertical.
This is one of Hy-Gain's latest additions (several years back)of "no-radial"
end fed verticals that resonates on each band as an 3/8 wavelength radiator.
This is done with no traps, utilizing individual  3/8 wave radiators on 6,
10, 12, 15 & 17 meters with the main radiator operating on 20, 30 & 40 meters
using parallel top loaded coils and individual capacity hats. They use a
matching network (toroidal transformer & current balun)and 72" counterpoises
on the base for matching.

Going back through many years of publications, I found several "New Product"
tests that spoke "favorably" about the antenna's performance as long as it is
mounted per the Hy-Gain's suggestions: at least 8' from ground and higher is
better.

Looking for any feed-back on this antenna. I've read all the views, opinions,
about all the others: Butternut, GAP, MFJ-1792/1793, etc but nothing on this
series. Would this make a "decent" antenna for a "home, away from home" setup
that has limited space available?  Thanks in advance.

Phil, K4MPE