Re: [TowerTalk] Trap Resonance

To: "Ron & Madhavi" <mchilkuri@kasnet.com>,<TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Trap Resonance
From: "Dan" <dhearn@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 07:44:23 -0800
Hi Ron: The extreme variations in signal strength with your different
configurations are difficult to explain and might be due to one of the
following.
1. Large variations in SWR cause your transceiver protective circuits to
reduce its power output when they become too large. You can check this by
measuring the power actually applied to the antenna and the SWR. I would
look at this first.
.2. Large variations in signal strength to your friends receiver can be
caused by variations in the propagation path at different frequencies.
Attempts to measure yagi directivity with local friends can give very
strange results. I have seen reflections off a local water tower giving very
strange patterns.
I would build a simple field strength meter and locate it several
wavelengths away to tell what is going on.
73., Dan, N5AR