Re: [TowerTalk] electric fence qrn

To: "Tim Duffy K3LR" <k3lr@k3lr.com>, <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] electric fence qrn
From: "AA6DX" <aa6dx@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 14:08:29 -0800
Ya done got my curiosity up .. here's what I found ... Mark, AA6DX

Soldering Oxidized Copper Wires (Especially Stranded)

Go to the hardware store or welding store and buy a bottle

of All-State Duzall Flux (tm) for soft soldering.

Dip the connections in it or use a cotton swab (Q-tip) to

coat it and then heat it with the soldering iron while it is still

wet. It will be instantly clean and the solder will flow beautifully.

It works on stainless steel as well as other metals because

it is an ACID flux. So you must wash it off afterwards. Dip

the connection in clear water or use a squirt bottle to flush it

clean. It works exceptionally well with stranded wire. Just

make sure that you get plenty of solder on the connection so

that it flows throughout the strands & then wash thoroughly.

I have been using this techniques since the 1970s when I

was the engineer for the University of Colorado's Radio Astronomy

Observatory. Never had any problems if washed

thoroughly after the soldering. And it makes a tedious task

EASY!

Bottle claims it works on Stainless Steel, Chrome, Monel,

Copper, rass, Cast Iron, Galvanized, Gold, Sterling Silver, Silver,

Bronze, Coated Sheets, and other metals EXCEPT Aluminum,

Magnesium, and Die Cast. Contains Zinc Chloride!!!

John Brosnahan--W0UN shr@ricc.net