Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical balun

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical balun
From: Jan Erik Holm <sm2ekm@telia.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 07:41:54 +0100
Again, why a balun? StepIR should know better.
If there are RF currents on the braid of the
feedline you need to cut the braid, that is from
an RF point of view. That you do with forexample
ferrite beads, as you correctly point out below.
I would put them as close to the feedpoint as
possible, if that doesnt solve the problem I
would move them.
Why complicate things with unneeded stuff, keep
it correct and simple and it will pay of in the
long run.

Jim SM2EKM

Tom Champlin wrote:

Well, for instance, I just bought a Big SteppIR vertical. The company recommends a balun in some cases. They said it was to keep the RF from coming down the coax. They also sell this balun. Not being a purist, I often like to use the term balun meaning an RF choke as well as a 1:1 matching device. Balanced to unbalanced.
I normally just use a string of large ferrite beads at the feed point. I haven't modeled this with EZNEC yet, but I would bet that the radials will couple some RF to the coax shield, hence my question as to where to place the beads, balun, or whatever one wants to call it.

Best regards,

Tom W0HH

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jan Erik Holm" <sm2ekm@telia.com>