Re: [TowerTalk] One more ground radial question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] One more ground radial question
From: Jan Erik Holm <sm2ekm@telia.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 07:17:55 +0100
If you have 60 radials, take a rest and be done with it,
you are so close to "minimum" loss, ofcourse if you need
the excersise and have nothing else to do you can go to
work puting out more but it?s not going to pay of much.
On my 160m vertical (100ft shunt feed) I put out 250 radials,
so so stupid and I would never ever do it again, guess
I needed the exercise.

Jim SM2EKM

kb9cry@comcast.net wrote:

I wish to apologize to the group for stirring this debate up. I think it's good discussion but let's not rehash old information that is already in the archives. I think I started this by responding to the original questioner's comments about having only 5 radials now and planning to install 12-24 in the future. My comments were meant to mean that one shouldn't plan to only install 12-24 but, if possible, it's been proven that 60 is a more desirable number, and even more if one chooses. Of course installing as many as possible is best and one is better than none, etc. And if you have obstructions then you just install around these as best as can.

I do have a question now.  I presently have 60 1/4 wave radials installed
around my 160M shunt fed tower.  If I add extra in one direction, say toward
EU, will that greatly reduce or affect the antenna's performance towards other
DX locations?  I'm a novice antenna modeler so maybe one of you's who is
experienced can comment on this.  If the effect is negative toward other DX,
how about a relay system that could switch in the extra radials when I want to
qso toward EU?  Any comments?  Tnx, Phil  KB9CRY