Re: [TowerTalk] Hardware Question

To: rehman@surveil.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hardware Question
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 12:13:53 EST
In a message dated 12/28/03 8:09:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,
rehman@surveil.com writes:

> The hardware is in very good shape, especially considering it is 46 years
>  old. It is a little tight coming apart, but I don't really want to spray
>  penetrating oil on each nut/bolt before removing them- I really don't like
>  the idea of oil on a tower I'm climbing (not to mention my hands while
>  climbing).

    A little squirt of Liquid Wrench is pretty benign since it mostly soaks
into the threads. I'm all in favor of making a job easier by using some LW.

>  To make it easier putting the tower back together, I was
>  contemplating soaking all of the nuts and bolts in WD40 for a day or so.
Any
>  thoughts as to whether this is a good or bad idea?

    Industry standards for towers don't allow for re-using fasteners. I'd
replace all of them and be done with it. After all, they are 46 years old too!

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH