Re: [TowerTalk] CC&R's

To: Tom Champlin <w0hh@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CC&R's
From: Alan Beagley <AB2OS@att.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 00:33:44 -0500
We just bought a house in W. Michigan and had to look for quite a while before we found a suitable property. Our first choice turned out to have CC&Rs explicitly banning antennas other than small dishes close to the roof (can't now recall the permitted height). We ended up with a 29-yr.-old property in a nice neighborhood with underground utilities, brief (only 2 pages) CC&Rs that do not mention antennas or transmitters -- and no HOA. I did consult an ARRL Volunteer Counsel for advice on one point, and he said that the CC&Rs he sees are typically 50 pages. One ham wrote that the CC&Rs for one subdivision (in Illinois, IIRC) were 3" thick and nobody wanted to let him read them.

Note that if I had not asked for a copy of the CC&Rs before ever making an offer for the property, I still would not know what the restrictions were: the documents presented at closing mentioned something along the lines of "applicable covenant restrictions," but the document detailing those restrictions was not made available at that time.

I haven't yet done anything about putting up a tower -- or even my VHF/UHF vertical -- so it remains to be seen whether any of the neighbors think that antennas and towers are terrible and are willing to pay a lawyer to try to prevent me from erecting one.

The municipality has a "hands-off" approach to amateur radio towers/antennas under 70' high and does not even require a building permit to ensure the safety of the installation.

Alan AB2OS

On 01/01/04 12:38 pm Tom Champlin put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

There has been a lot posted about antenna restrictions. Here in the Kansas city area it's no different. Wanting to buy a new home, I have been to many, many new housing additions. I recently found an addition that had a few larger lots left. I currently use a TX-455 and X9 with slopers. I will have to give this up when I move next summer. As the builders are now offering cheap stereo systems with in-ceiling speakers, I will probably have to mothball the Alpha as well. I recently bought a Big SteppIR vertical that I hope I can somehow put up when I move. I selected the largest lot, which adjoins a horse ranch. The CC&R's in my subdivision say something like this:

SECTION 13

No outside television or radio antenna, or satellite dish or receiver, shall be erected, installed or maintained on any Lot, or on any structure on the Lot, except that one satellite dish or receiver not exceeding two (2) feet in diameter shall be permitted on the side, roof, or chimney of a dwelling house.

SECTION 15

No outbuildings, storage sheds, storage tanks, or any other free-standing structure detached from the residence shall be constructed or maintained on any Lot.

So, I guess If you want full blown ham radio, you need to live on a large acreage, away from other people. ($$$). Or, live in a shack next to a crack house where nobody cares. I doubt if anyone ever cracks the CC&R's on behalf of ham radio. I have to admit, I have seen some really trashy looking antenna setups. Most non-hams see all of them as trashy looking and a blight on the neighborhood, not to even mention the RFI. If I can use the vertical, I think it will satisfy my current needs.