Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV

To: Dino Darling <k6rix@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV
From: jsb@digistar.com
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 20:35:02 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Dino Darling wrote:

> (notice how I correctly TOP POSTED this reply (so you don't have to
> scroll through everything you have already read) and EDITED the footer
> to remove all the extra crap!  Everyone should try this in 2004!!!)

Uhh...  I respectully disagree.  Not everyone on the planet uses a
brain-dead mail client that assumes people read message threads from the
top down.  "Top posting" came about when PCs became so cheap that anyone
who could afford one could start sending email.  Unfortunately, these new
PC owners didn't learn that the norm was to keep only what you wanted to
reply to and delete the rest, and then reply UNDERNEATH the quoted text.
Nowadays, a horrid notion thought by many is that replying at the top of
the message is the norm.

Sorry - this doesn't have a lot to do with towers or antennas other than
the medium by which we're communicating.

Also sorry if this sounds like nit picking - it probably is but I don't
want to see this line of thought go by without some necessary
clarification.

Regarding G5RV:  doesn't this antenna have rather poor efficiency if the
typical SWR across the "usable" range is 2:1 or higher?  I can match a
piece of dacron with a good tuner but it isn't a very efficient radiator.

73 Jason N1SU