Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV

To: <KI9A@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV
From: "Ron & Madhavi" <mchilkuri@kasnet.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 02:08:32 -0500
We took a commercial G5RV (with ribbon line with "windows" and a balun) to
the Dondra lighthouse (4S7LGT) 2 years in a row and worked nothing of any
significance -- although from the edge of the Island, looking straight out
to sea. We oriented it horizontal, vertical (from atop the 154' lighthouse)
and in inv vee fashion. At NO TIME did it beat a simple and CRUDE dipole.
My brother had a homebrew G5RV up for years, hoping that it would be a
decent ham/SWL antenna. Even though it is longer than a resonant half wave
on the higher bands, I have NEVER EVER seen it out perform mono band
dipoles.

As someone here suggested the only times I have seen one get even close to a
dipole was when it was fed directly with open wire line to a decent tuner.

As for DXCC with wire, I have 97 worked (on 40m) in just over a month. The
antenna is a wire vertical with 6 "bent" radials, to be able to accommodate
them within my 10x30' backyard! A neighbor who runs G5RV can't work the JAs
that I work!

Having said all the above, I have over the years learnt that one man's dream
antenna can sometimes be another man's nightmare!

73,
Ron, 6Y5/4S7RO