Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone not need a permit to install their tower?- No pe

To: Noel <y.yaesurigs@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone not need a permit to install their tower?- No permit Required
From: Tom Anderson <WW5L@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 08:39:15 -0600
Noel:

Get the city planner to put it in writing and even that doesn't ensure the city will honor it.

Before my XYL Cheryl (WY5H) and I moved in 1992 to our current QTH we lived in another city that said they didn't have any tower restrictions and I had a letter on city letterhead from the mayor that said the same thing, no restrictions. Then when some neighbors of another ham complained the didn't "like" his tower, the city staff suddenly said the city had a 35 foot height limit. Got to be a big brouhaha, etc. The neighbors were claiming all kinds of RFI, phones being messed up, garage doors opening mysteriously, the only thing was the ham didn't even have an N-connector or a PL259 on any piece of coax going to any antenna he had. I was inside his house and saw all the coax just coiled up in the living room.

At a city council meeting the mayor denied ever writing a letter to me, then when I produced a copy at the meeting before 100 or so people his memory got fuzzy and he "couldn't remember" writing it, but the letter appeared to be from him he said, as if implying someone else had written it. City finally passed a 50 foot limit, then when things cooled down they quietly passed an annual tower inspection ordinance. Hams and anybody else had to pay $50 a year for the "inspection". When the city first did their inspections an independent tower company found a problem with only one ham's tower, but it found the city's public safety radio tower next to city hall was grossly overloaded with antennas far beyond the design limits and the school district's tower was in imminent danger of collapse. A year later we got a new mayor and the inspection issue quietly died a peaceful death. Hams also reminded the city who would operate their Skywarn radios, man their EOC, etc. during severe weather. I got into an argument with the city's Fire Marshal/emergency management director who said he could operate any radio anytime he wanted license or no license. I politely advised him not to try it on amateur radio unless he received at least a tech license.

Tom, WW5L

Noel wrote:

So I called my local city planners office to begin the process of
getting a permit to install a tower on my one acre lot. We live in a
kind of agricultural area, but more horse-country than agricultural. At
first I'm told I'd need to get a "conditional use permit" to install my
tower. But later when trying to get more details of what I'd need for
the permit, I speak directly with the city planner who tells me I don't
need a permit at all because the city ordinance requiring a "conditional
use permit" is only for towers over 75'. And since my tower is only
60', he does not think I need a permit at all. He goes on to read from
the ordinance, and explains that it specifically exempts singe pole
radio structures and the like under 75'. I'm a little concerned about
the words "single pole" because my tower is not a single pole. But a
triangular tower with four guys wires. I explain that to the city
planner and he still says I don't need a permit, if I keep the
installation under 75'.

So my concern is, if I install my tower without a permit, and keep it
under 75'. What protection, if any, do I have if later someone
complains about my antenna and tower? Not that I expect it from my
neighbors but you never know.

According to the city planner, I can still get a "building permit" to
ensure the installation meets proper installation requirements, but that
it is not necessary. I'm kind of relieved I don't have to get permit
but wonder if I should anyway, or just go ahead with my installation and
see what happens.

Thanks for any suggestions Noel