Re: [TowerTalk] New power line phenomena problem

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New power line phenomena problem
From: edoc <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 20:57:30 -0500
Peter Larsen wrote:

Many people have died from induction. I have worked on a 138 KV line
that was dead and grounded 10 feet either side of me. But it was within 20 feet of a live line. Without the grounds I would have been killed or at
a minimum very badly burnt. It was so "hot" in my bucket that sparks were
going between my tools.

Peter
VE6YC
25 years as a lineman

OK, I have a practical application.

Our new QTH property is 330 wide and 1600 feet long. It came with a power line
right-of-way along one side (new 12,000 volt wires on very tall concrete posts I believe).

The perimeter of the property is ringed with multiple strands of ungrounded barbed wire
on wood posts. We have added some additional somewhat dense pattern welded fencing
in portions of the property.

When I put up my 60 foot push-up pole, my 60-70 foot Rohn 25 tower, and my
long wire antennas what sort of proximity should I avoid?

Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e