Re: [TowerTalk] New power line phenomena problem

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New power line phenomena problem
From: edoc <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:21:10 -0500
If I am to run a 160 doublet then across the property will only just barely suffice
(330 feet) and would place 70 feet of one leg directly under the towers. The
only other option is to run parallel or at a less-than-180 degree angle.

The power lines run north-south and my sense is that I want my 160m lobes
mostly north and south of my QTH here in west-central FL, just north of
Tampa.

I can run along the property line opposite the towers but that would place me
directly above a 1600 foot run of barbed wire, something that may of may not
(depending on distance) cause some pattern disturbance.

Since I am unlikely to be able to keep my 160m antenna high enough to prevent
a NVIS-effect I suppose the barbed wire may simply enhance that!

As for 80, 60, and 40m I will want both n-s and e-w orientations so I will have to
keep them as far from the poles as possible, which given 300 feet from the west
side to the poles should be enough!

Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e
Peter Larsen wrote:

what sort of proximity should I avoid?

For electrocution avoidance, if you can go twice the height of your tower that is a good rule of thumb.

Off of 12 KV there won't be much induction unless
you are right under it. Long wires run in parallel to
the over head line will pick up a fair bit of inductance.
I don't know how much voltage will blow out your rig, but
try to run at 90 deg to the power line if at all possible.

Of course site planning on paper never matches the
real world.

Peter
VE6YC