[TowerTalk] Certification to climb towers?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Certification to climb towers?
From: John Lloyd <lloyd@ussc.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:03:02 -0700
I went to a club meeting last night where the speaker was in the
business of Tower and Antenna Installation. He said that the OSHA rules
have changed over that past few years and that everyone who climbs
towers needs to be certified to climb and and must use the proper body
harness climbing belts and locking belt clips.

He also said that if there is an accident, that OSHA WILL come and
inspect the Tower accident. If the climber is not certified then the
insurance companies won't pay any claims.

I would like to know if someone could confirm this and let me know what
one needs to go through to get certified to climb towers?  I've only
been climbing towers for 37 years now and yes I have a body harness
climbing belt. I climb towers to repair and maintain my ham radio
antennas. I did not know that everyone needs to be certified to climb.

Can someone direct me to some information on the web about
certifications for tower climbers and the OSHA requirements?

Thanks,

John, K7JL