Re: [SteppIR] Re: [TowerTalk] Steppir tuning noise

To: SteppIR@yahoogroups.com, smidtca@sprint.ca, SavageBR@aol.com,wd0m@centurytel.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [SteppIR] Re: [TowerTalk] Steppir tuning noise
From: BobK8IA@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:35:35 EST
In a message dated 2/20/04 6:25:05 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
davidgreer73@yahoo.com writes:
In the general coverage mode, the SteppIR tunes itself
going from band to band or when tuning up and down a
band. Mine produces an S9 hash which is not a
low-level noise. Granted, I love my 3 el SteppIR and
am a big advocate for the antenna on the air. But the
tuning noise is annoying when operating in the general
coverage mode. So, I stopped using mine in that mode.
Now I just have to remember to press the proper
bandswitch on the controller. No biggie.

73, Dave, N4KZ

Yes, I have done the same. I have done a great deal of contesting with my 3
el SteppIR, since March 2003 and about the last thing I want that antenna doing
is following me around the band, generating noise while I S&P. I either pgm
one or two settings per band/mode or leave defaults alone and just go at it in
"Amateur" mode. Then all I have to worry abt is bandswitching and aimng it and
operating the 180 switch. Thats enough. ;-)

(You DO have to program yourself for the manual band changes of course!)

The computer control of the SteppIR is a wonderful feature for everyday
operating but not for most contesting where you;re doing a lot of S&P.

73, Bob K8IA
in the shadow of the Superstition Mtns
Arizona USA
http://www.members.aol.com/bobk8ia/index.htm