Re: [TowerTalk] Hy gain DIS-71 Rotatable Dipole

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hy gain DIS-71 Rotatable Dipole
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 00:24:23 +0000
KJ6Y added:

I recently installed one of the Hygain 40 meter rotatable dipoles above a 3
element SteppIR for W8DX. About 5 feet of separation. There appeared to be
minimal interaction, and of course you can retract the elemments on the beam so
none at all.
One thing I did was install a DPST 12 v relay on each half to short out the
linear loading which allowed the antenna to operate on 30 meters. This also
minimized the interaction on 15 meter, which didn't seem to be much in the first
place.

Is the Hygain dipole element like the one on the 2-element beam?

Although I could probably never put it up, I have a 2-element here & one day
whilst dreaming if I could, shorting out the linear loading for 30m crossed my
mind.

Wasn't sure how to deal with the relay power leads that would have to go out
on each element to where the break is for the linear loading - I believe most
elements with relays tend to have them in the center (to vary position of short
at end of linear loading or something like that).

How did you deal with the relay lines, Chip?

73, VR2BrettGraham