[TowerTalk] Regalvanizing tower sections

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Regalvanizing tower sections
From: "Neal Cox" <ncoxsr@wt.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:37:09 -0600
I have a Rohn HDBX tower that contains sections where the galvanizing has
failed and the metal is rusting. I've considered rust stabilizer coating, "cold
galvanizing", and having the sections regalvanized.
The sections can be regalvanized at a moderate cost in the North Texas area for
$0.48/lb. However
a representative for the firm providing me the quote warned that warpage of the
sections would probably
take place because of the high heat involved in the process. I have learned
that "cold galvanizing" isn't
galvanizing, just coating with a zinc rich paint. The rust stabilizer sounds
good but I wonder how it well
it would work on a tower constantly exposed to the weather. Also, the
regalvanizing processs includes
removing the old galvanizing and then hot dip galvanizing. The cost is $0.16/lb
to strip and $0.32/lb to
galvanize. My Rohn HDBX32 has been up for 21 years. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Neal, K5WZI