Re: [TowerTalk] Regalvanizing tower sections

To: ncoxsr@wt.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Regalvanizing tower sections
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:09:11 EST
In a message dated 3/19/04 11:00:02 AM Pacific Standard Time, ncoxsr@wt.net
writes:

> I have a Rohn HDBX tower that contains sections where the galvanizing has
> failed and the metal is rusting. I've considered rust stabilizer coating, "
> cold galvanizing", and having the sections regalvanized.
>  The sections can be regalvanized at a moderate cost in the North Texas
area
> for $0.48/lb. However
>  a representative for the firm providing me the quote warned that warpage
of
> the sections would probably
>  take place because of the high heat involved in the process. I have
learned
> that "cold galvanizing" isn't
>  galvanizing, just coating with a zinc rich paint. The rust stabilizer
sounds
> good but I wonder how it well
>  it would work on a tower constantly exposed to the weather. Also, the
> regalvanizing processs includes
>  removing the old galvanizing and then hot dip galvanizing. The cost is
$0.16/
> lb to strip and $0.32/lb to
>  galvanize. My Rohn HDBX32 has been up for 21 years. Any suggestions?

    Rohn BX uses zinc plated steel so it's never been hotdipped. I think
another problem is that the rivets will get melted out during the hotdip
process.
Anyway, don't get it hotdipped galvanized.

    Get a wire brush and wire wheel for your drill and use LOTS of elbow
grease to manually get the rust off. Then spray with a *good* cold galv spray.
(You'll know it's a good cold galv because it'll cost more than the typical
hardware store stuff.  <A
HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.championradio.com
</A> has some professional grade stuff.) It'll be good for years afterwards.

    BTW my first tower was a used BX. By the time I spent HOURS getting the
rust off and the $$ to buy enough cold galv spray, I'd have been MUCH better
off buying a new one. I'll never try to refurb another one, that's for sure!
(It's only slightly less ghastly a job than refurbing a KT34A or XA. Ugghhh!)

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH --