Re: [TowerTalk] Steppir VS UV Light

To: Bernard <wtrone@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Steppir VS UV Light
From: Phil - KB9CRY <kb9cry@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:27:01 -0600
Be careful with painting the FRP. While it will stop the UV degradation, and it would be advisable to protect them even if they are UV resistant, some paints are conductive. The better solution would be to wrap them with Scotch 33 tape a few times and be careful to trim the end so it doesn't flag. Phil KB9CRY

Bernard wrote:

Does anyone know if the fiberglass rods that Steppir uses for their antenna elements are specially treated to resist UV sunlight? I looked at their website but could not find the answer. Maybe it was there and I couldn't find it, maybe not.

Whether they are aren't, would it hurt to paint them with a compound that helps fiberglass resist UV radiation?

73

       Bernard, WA4OEJ