Re: [TowerTalk] Steppir VS UV Light

To: N6KJ <kelly@thejohnsons.ws>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Steppir VS UV Light
From: Rick Tavan <tavan@tibco.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:03:07 -0800
When I complained, they sent me some more gratis and promised to increase the standard length. However, the antenna was already in the air, so I just saved the extra for use in the next maintenance project.

I was only about six inches short. Even if they did increase the standard a little, it would be easy to use just a little too much on each joint and still run out. Glad to hear their more recent advice on local sources. (And I hope they decide to increase the standard length some more!)

I've heard that some owners skip the tape because they use the antenna for portable applications like FD. They say the tubes stay nicely extended by joint friction. The tape is apparently an added precaution. That being said, I would always use the tape in a permanent installation and live with the potential aggravation of future disassembly.

/Rick

N6KJ wrote:

The one thing SteppIR should do, though, is include more of the tape they
use to waterproof the telescoping element sections.  They don't supply
enough of it.  Anyone know where to get more?  Also, it would be nice
if you didn't need the tape at all.  If you ever want to break the
antenna down and take it someplace all that tape is a real pain!