Re: [TowerTalk] Roof Tower

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Roof Tower
From: "Bill VanAlstyne" <w5wvo@cybermesa.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 19:03:49 -0700
This may not be specifically applicable to the situation under discussion, but
the concept might be useful. I created a flat-roof "tower" of sorts using a
Radio Shack steel telescoping mast (not the wimpy 10-ft-section TV mast), a
large Radio Shack tripod, and three very heavy concrete deck footings obtained
from Lowe's. I drilled holes in the footings with a masonry bit, and using lead
masonry anchors secured the tripod to the bricks with lag screws. Guying the
mast four ways at the rotor with nylon cord (dacron would be better), I was able
to put up a fair amount of VHF aluminum at fifteen to twenty feet. Could easily
handle a small tribander instead. The mast scarcely moves in 50-60 MPH gusts.
And no holes in the roof! The hardest part was getting the concrete footings up
on the roof. <heez, heez...>

Bill / W5WVO