[TowerTalk] Auto antenna tuner

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Auto antenna tuner
From: WarrenWolff@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 21:41:02 EST
In 1963, some type of military exercise deposited a sergeant in my Hickam AFB
MARS station with a Technical Materiel Corp suitcase rig.  I am not sure of
all of the specs, but we strapped up a terminated sloping "V" beam.  I cannot
remember what his power level was, but it was either 1500 or 2500 watts; for
sure greater than the allowed ham power levels.  It was employed on the HF
bands
for just one quick check, but his first contact was with Ben, KW6DB on Wake
Island (20 meters).  Said it was the strongest signal he had ever heard from
Hawaii.

It had the neatest thing I had ever seen, an autotuner with a crossed-needle
meter.  It hit 1:1 SWR in a twinkle.  I have no idea what the range of the
"gadget" was, but it certainly grabbed our eyes.

If you are lucky, you might come across one of those in surplus.

Good luck in your quest,  Warren W5KKW