Re: [TowerTalk] Using riding mower to run radials (2nd Try)

To: N8DCJ@YAHOO.COM, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using riding mower to run radials (2nd Try)
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:16:06 -0700
At 08:47 AM 4/12/2004 -0700, Dan Bookwalter wrote:
Anyone have a good design for an attachment to fit a
riding mower to slice the ground, put the wire down
and cover it back up ???

yes i am lazy :-)

Dan N8DCJ

Maybe you could modify the design shown in "Low Band DXing"? Does the mower have a 3 point hitch to attach to? Attaching to the vehicle is probably the most challenging aspect, because you need the downforce from the weight of the vehicle. If you've got a three point hitch, then it's probably a matter of some of that angle iron with the predrilled holes and some turnbuckles. (and some baling wire and chewing gum, too!)

I built something to slit my lawn to install subsurface irrigation tubing. The real challenge is the knife. It needs to be remarkably strong. I wound up with something made from a chunk of 2"x1/4" flat stock, with some work on a grinder.

Jim, w6rmk