Re: [TowerTalk] Using riding mower to run radials (2nd Try)

To: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>, N8DCJ@YAHOO.COM,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using riding mower to run radials (2nd Try)
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:16:37 -0400
At 12:16 PM 4/12/04, Jim Lux wrote:

At 08:47 AM 4/12/2004 -0700, Dan Bookwalter wrote:
Anyone have a good design for an attachment to fit a
riding mower to slice the ground, put the wire down
and cover it back up ???

yes i am lazy :-)

Dan N8DCJ

Maybe you could modify the design shown in "Low Band DXing"? Does the mower have a 3 point hitch to attach to? Attaching to the vehicle is probably the most challenging aspect, because you need the downforce from the weight of the vehicle. If you've got a three point hitch, then it's probably a matter of some of that angle iron with the predrilled holes and some turnbuckles. (and some baling wire and chewing gum, too!)

I built something to slit my lawn to install subsurface irrigation tubing. The real challenge is the knife. It needs to be remarkably strong. I wound up with something made from a chunk of 2"x1/4" flat stock, with some work on a grinder.

I think if I were doing this I would start with an inexpensive dethatcher, which uses cinder blocks to provide weight and avoids the need for a rigid connection to the tractor. I have one, and with a single cinder block on it the downforce on the dethatching wires is quite substantial. Really tears up the lawn!

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
is back, at www.pvrc.org/WCSD/WCSDsearch.htm