Re: [TowerTalk] Brainstorming: A homebrew Steppir like beam....

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>, "Rob Frohne" <frohro@wwc.edu>,"Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK)" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Brainstorming: A homebrew Steppir like beam....
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 07:27:57 -0400
At 01:28 AM 4/26/04, Tom Rauch wrote:
I certainly would never worry at all about stamping,
cutting, or punching BeCu. None of that creates dust, and
the dust is the POSSIBLE danger. The solder we use is very
likely a much more dangerous long term.

Isn't it also worth focusing on the fact that the issues discussed in the article are all involved in occupational exposures, which presuppose exposure 8 hours a day for months and probably years? Just as those of us who once changed a couple of asbestos brake linings don't have to worry about mesothelioma from that source, a hobbyist machining beryllium copper for a day or two seems likely to be well outside any risk envelope.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
is back, at www.pvrc.org/WCSD/WCSDsearch.htm