[TowerTalk] non-level antenna

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] non-level antenna
From: "D. Rodman, MD" <rodman@buffalo.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 06:48:12 -0400 (EDT)
My 40M4 by M2 was noted to have a broken TIC ring mount early March.  The
mount was temporarily repaired while we waited for the weather to break.
The rigger came back and with a gin pole on the top of the tower and a
tram line the antenna was dropped to the ground and rebuilt per the latest
specifications by M2.  The mount was also changed.

The rigger called and asked if he could come back 10 days ago and put it
up.  I told him fine, but could not be present.  I had asked to be sure
the antenna was level before the antenna was put up.  About 4 hours into
the project, he called me on the cell phone and said he could not clear
the lower antennas on the tower and needed to abandon the install.

He did not inform me the first thing he did when he arrived was to abandon
the idea of using a tram line to install the antenna.  I learned this from
an eye witness the next day.  I was pretty angry.

I had an opportunity to install the antenna later the next week by
tramming the antenna up the tower.  The job was completed in about 45
minutes, however I noticed this past weekend when doing some maintenance
at the top of the tower the antenna is not level.

There is an obvious tilt of the antenna which appears to be 2-3 ft at the
tip ends.  I am looking for ideas on how to level the antenna in the TIC
cradle that are simple and easily performed by one person and does not
involve riggers or gin poles.

I was thinking of loosening the bolts and trying a Sears strap wrench to
torque the antenna in the cradle.  Any other ideas or comments on my brain
storm.

By the way, when one hires people to do this work one should be prepared
to use a job description in writing.  When I got to the top of the tower,
I was amazed at the sloppy work that had been done concerning the
installation and will be informing the crew when I get the bill.  I also
plan to object strenously about the fact the previously agreed plan to
install the antenna was abandoned without consultation or advice.

Any help on this would be appreciated.  Thanks.

David J. Rodman, MD

Assistant Clinical Professor
Department of Ophthalmology

Research Assistant Professor