Re: [TowerTalk] 9913; Rotor loops

To: "Marlon Schafer (509-982-2181)" <ooe@odessaoffice.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 9913; Rotor loops
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:31:49 -0400
This is surprising as the 3-M stuff is used in a number of commercial
applications where longevity is a major concern.  It works well in the air,
underground, and in wide ranges of temperatures.

> I quit using heat shrink.  I tried the 3m and Ilsco versions.  Both glue
> filled.
>
> The glue gets hard when it gets cold and doesn't stay stuck to the coax.

I've never had this happen.  Typically the glue won't come off the coax and
we get 20 below zero F at times in the winter. I use it to connect the rotor
loops and even with all the movement I've not had one come unstuck yet.  The
coax jacket does have to be lean and oil free and any Silicone is a bear to
clean off as tape won't stick where that has been either.

> When you try to take it off the glue sticks to everything it's not
supposed
> to.

The glue is supposed to stick to everything. It's basically hot glue.

If you don't want it to stick to the metal, you need to "carefully" wipe a
film of DC-4 compound on the surface, but don't get any on the coax jacket.

Myself, I clean the connectors as well, glue it all together and consider
the connection permanent.  OHOH using a heat gun you can split the tube and
peel it off. The connectors won't look pretty, but the condition will be
like new.

> When it's cold and/or windy it's almost impossible to shrink it right
> without a blow torch.

It does take a heat gun, but even up on the tower in some relatively high
wind I've had no problems.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com

> 3m Scotch 2229 mastic tape is a pain but I've NEVER had a connection leak
> (and I've now done well over 100 in 4.5 years as a wisp).  I cover that up
> with 3m 33+ (I don't use cheap tape, equipment failures are too
expensive).

I've never had a failure with the 3-M heat shrink yet.