Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Element Tip

To: ve5ra@sasktel.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Element Tip
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 01:17:37 EDT
In a message dated 5/11/04 9:17:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ve5ra@sasktel.net writes:

> The tip of the reflector on a Force-12 6L 10M yagi (EF-610) broke off
>  right at the rivet.  The tip is 0.375" OD dia and 44.375" long and fits
>  into the next larger 0.50" dia section.  I suspect that it vibrated until
>  it fatigued and then fell off.  Force-12 does not mention that dampening
>  rope is needed in the element tips so none was installed.  With such a
>  small diameter of 0.375", 1/4" rope would probably not fit....maybe string
>  would work to act as a dampener?
>  Has anyone had a similar case and if so what did you do to prevent the
>  element tip from vibrating again?

    Here's what I recommend. In addition to the standard 3 rivets inline for
element attachment, add a second row of 3 (or 4) rivets opposite the original
ones. Or add a third row so that each row is 120 degrees around the element.
You'll be good to go for years now.

    The problem is that with only the single row of rivets there's still lots
of slack in the element pieces, enough for the element to work itself back
and forth and then down to the ground. Two or even three rows of rivets will
totally eliminate the wind working on the element and you'll never have to
worry
about it again.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC