Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Element Tip

To: K7LXC@aol.com, ve5ra@sasktel.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Element Tip
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 03:53:30 -0400
At 01:17 AM 5/12/2004, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
 Here's what I recommend. In addition to the standard 3 rivets inline for
element attachment, add a second row of 3 (or 4) rivets opposite the original
ones. Or add a third row so that each row is 120 degrees around the element.
You'll be good to go for years now.

The problem is that with only the single row of rivets there's still lots
of slack in the element pieces, enough for the element to work itself back
and forth and then down to the ground. Two or even three rows of rivets will
totally eliminate the wind working on the element and you'll never have to worry
about it again.

The downside here is that you're dealing with an element tip of only 3/8 inch diameter, and rivets with a 1/8 inch shank. I don't know how much overlap there is in these particular tips, but it isn't difficult to envision weakening the joint more than you help its rigidity, if you put as many as 9 additional 1/8" holes in a few inches of 3/8" and 1/2" aluminum tubing.

My 3 stock F12 HF antennas have been up since 1994, 1995 and 1996 respectively with no tip problems. Perhaps my environment is a lot more benign than VE5RA's (seems likely), but I don't think I'd rush to put in more than 1 additional rivet, at right angles to the others and as far away from them as possible.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on April 26, 2004
2706 contest stations at