Re: [TowerTalk] Belts/Harness legality

To: john.brewer@us.schneider-electric.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Belts/Harness legality
From: kb9cry@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 19:20:39 +0000
You are correct.  Spending a couple of hundred dollars on the "proper" safety
equipment when you only climb once a year may not make sense.  Most funerals do
cost less than most tower installations, so why add to the cost!  To me, the
second sentence pointedly indicates why you do need to spend the money, you
only climb the tower once a year and therefore are not as much of an expert as
one who does it for a living.  As one poster mentioned, you should see the
effects to the human body when only a belt is worn and it arrests a fall.  Up
to 5,000 pounds of force is applied to the body (300 lb. person) when the fall
is abruptly stopped.  Shock absorbing lanyards (the prescursors to bungee
jumping) reduce that force to around 500 pounds and a properly fitted full body
harness distributes that force to the strongest bones in the body, i.e. the
hips.  Hang on and good luck.  My full body harness with side mounted D-rings
only cost me around $75 which is cheap insurance in my book.
   Be safe, Phil  KB9CRY