RE: [TowerTalk] more info on new URI antenna

To: <aa6yq@ambersoft.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] more info on new URI antenna
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 15:49:26 -0400

> "The DLM [distributed load monopole] antenna is based on a
> lot of things that currently exist," said the researcher who
> invented the smaller antenna, Robert Vincent of the university's
> physics department, "but I've been able to put a combination
> of them together to create a revolutionary way of building
> antennas. It uses basically a helix plus a load coil." See
> http://www.eet.com/at/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=21401977
> for additional information.

Based on that article I have even more doubt about this so called
breakthrough ... considering the inventor doesn't seem to know the
difference between FM/TV towers and AM antenna sites.

"The patent-pending design could transform every antenna-from the
 GHz models for cell phones to the giant, KHz AM antennas that
 stud the high ground of metropolitan areas-Vincent said."

Rarely, if ever, will one find an AM broadcast site (535-1705 KHz)
on "high ground."  They are generally on the wet, low-lying, high
conductivity sites.  The high, rocky sites are absolutely the
worst sites for "KHz AM antennas."

BTW, this DLM technology sounds a lot like "variable pitch helical
was alleged to be a breakthrough advance over conventional coil
(base or mid-point) loading techniques.  It never proved out except
as an advertising gimmick for 11 meter antennas.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK