RE: [TowerTalk] more info on new URI antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] more info on new URI antenna
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 21:35:24 -0000

> "The DLM [distributed load monopole] antenna is based on a lot of
things
> that currently exist," said the researcher who invented the smaller
> antenna, Robert Vincent of the university's physics department, "but
> I've been able to put a combination of them together to create a
> revolutionary way of building antennas. It uses basically a helix plus
> load coil." See
> http://www.eet.com/at/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=21401977 for
> additional information.

Some quotes from above:
"I was able to increase the current profile of the antenna over a
quarter-wave by as much as two to 2.5 times," said Vincent

hmmmm, 'increase the current profile'... now just what is that in
scientific terms?  Got me stumped, must be something really important he
discovered!

"What I found was that for any smaller antenna, if you place a load coil
in the middle you can normalize and make the current through the helix
unity; that is, you can maximize it and linearize it," he added.

Ah, now we've got it.. center loading coil, helical elements... so some
kind of helical loaded vertical with an extra loading coil...  unity
current??  Normalized and linearized??  And, there's more...

"With my technique, I reduce the inductive loading that is normally
required to resonate the antenna by as much as 75 percent . . . by
utilizing the distributed capacitance around the antenna," he explained

ok, so he takes into account the distributed capacitance that any
antenna has... only more so I guess.  He goes on to mumble about how its
too hard to wind a helix for ghz frequencies so he flattened the helix
and can " crank these out using thin-film technologies".  Better let
Mr.Fractenna know he's got some competition coming!

I think I'll stick to full size wires for a bit longer.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net