Re: [TowerTalk] Do you tell them?

To: "towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Do you tell them?
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 15:10:47 -0400
> Do you tell your neighbors that you are going to put up a tower, or do
> you just do it?

I just went ahead and followed procedure without making any announcement.
The tower and antennas have now been here longer than all but two of the
neighbors.The back of three lots adjoin our property on the South.  It is
woods on the North and West.  We do have neighbors directly across the road.
I'd like to purchase the lot directly behind us as a buffer just so no one
builds directly behind me.

When I first moved here I put up a 90 foot relatively light weight guyed
tower with a tri-bander (ATB-34) and a repeater antenna shortly there after.
One neighbor asked about it attracting lightening, but figured if it struck
there it wouldn't get his place.  One asked what would happen if it fell
down.
I checked before hand and in this township and subdivision ham towers were
exempt except for set back rules for safety.  No building permit was
available.  They didn't write them if they weren't required.

15 years (or more) later I put up the new 100 foot tower.  Zoning had been
changed/added to require ham towers over 80 feet to be properly engineered.
They were willing to accept the ROHN figures.  I got the permit and put it
up.

One neighbor asked what happened if it fell over (not the same one) and I
remarked I'd probably have to put a new roof on the garage or shop as they
usually don't just tip over, but rather tend to fold up even in the case of
vandals cutting the guy lines.

As many times as it has been hit by lightening (three times already this
year) it is now referred to as the neighborhood lightening rod.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com