Re: [TowerTalk] Actual LP Performance vs Tribanders

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>,Larry Phipps <larry@telepostinc.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Actual LP Performance vs Tribanders
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:51:31 -0700
At 07:02 AM 6/28/2004 -0400, Pete Smith wrote:
At 02:08 AM 6/28/2004, Larry Phipps wrote:

Frankly, I think these are show-stoppers, as Larry says. Another issue is that S-meters can be quite non-linear -- for example, my Mark 5 is (very roughly) 2 dB per S Unit below S-9, and then fairly abruptly transitions to ~6 dB per S-Unit.

I wouldn't use the s-meter. I'd use a receiver with the AGC disabled and look at the audio output with a PC. The PC lets you digitize the signal so you can measure in a very narrow bandwidth (helping the SNR), and is quite linear.

Just as a practical note, I ran BeaconSee (a NCDXF beacon monitoring program) for a while with an ICOM PCR-1000 receiver hooked up to a 30m band dipole a few feet off the ground. I don't recall the detection bandwidth, but it's quite narrow. You could see almost all beacons, at some time during the day.