Re: [TowerTalk] Radials and Non-Vertical Antennas

To: "Nat Heatwole" <nat@ajheatwole.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radials and Non-Vertical Antennas
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 20:28:20 -0400
> I've heard that it often helps the performance of slopers,
"Cloud
> Warmer" dipoles, and low Yagis if one puts radials under
the tower (or
> whatever they happen to be mounted on).

Low yagis can benefit from radials, and low dipoles
absolutely will.

The wires need to be directly below the antenna and parallel
to it. Just laid on the earth is fine, and they don't need
to connect to the antenna or anything else.

I gained 4-5 dB on 80 meters by adding five wires on the
ground parallel to a dipole at 35ft  height  and spaced
several feet apart 35 feet above ground.  This is an OLD
trick I saw used as early as the early 1960's on 160 and 80
meters.

73 Tom