RE: [TowerTalk] Re: narrowband filters

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Re: narrowband filters
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 21:55:49 -0500
On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 18:00:44 -0700, Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK) wrote:

>100 kHz is less than 1% BW on 20 meters.  If you can
>manage an unloaded Q of (quite difficult, but doable),
>you will lose about 1 dB per resonator.  Let's say this filter
>covers 14000 to 14100.  At 14150 (one bandpass octave out),
>you will get about 6 dB suppression per pole.

>Let's review that:  you lose 1 dB of desired signal for
>each 6 dB of undesired signal suppression, assuming a Chebyshev
>response.

>Of course, you could separate the passband and stopband
>somewhat, which would make things better at the expense
>of losing the top of the CW band and the bottom of the phone
>band.

The latter is more like what I had in mind. For most CW contests, one would be
pretty happy
with the center of the filter at 14025. The lowest frequency of interest on SSB
is 14150, and
perhaps you decide that you don't work that low, instead you move up the band a
bit (where
the QRM is less anyway). Remember, this is Field Day, not a DX contest. Now
you've got a
design problem that, given the same achievement in filter design gives you
appreciably
more rejection simply by defining the problem in a manner more appropriate to
the use (or
allows it to work with lower Q).  Now your stopband attenuation is more like
10-12 dB for 1
dB burned in the filter.

Applying the same logic for 40 meters, again you tune the passband to 7025 and
decide
that the SSB station will stay above 7200. Not a DX contest, but a reasonable
set of
parameters for Field Day.  On 40, the design problem is less demanding by a
factor of 2:1.

Jim K9YC