Re: [TowerTalk] Re: narrowband filters

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,"Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: narrowband filters
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 23:05:43 -0700
Its interesting to see how antenna spacing plays into this Jim.
I just ran a couple test cases in EZNEC using two 20 meter
1/2 wave horizontal dipoles at 40ft above average ground.
The antennas were placed tip-to-tip. In case 1, I used 550 ft
spacing (center-to-center), and then I re-ran the simulation
with 100 ft spacing. Huge difference. In case 1, the isolation
was around 70dB. In case 2 the isolation dropped to 30dB.
Doing a link budget assuming Ten-Tec Orion like phase
noise (-140dBc/Hz) performance and 550 ft spacing would
give a broadband noise floor in a 3 KHz SSB bandwidth of
-125dBm. That's going to be below the background noise
level in all but the most quite locations. By contrast, go to
100 ft spacing and a noiser radio (-120dBc/Hz) and you are
talking about S9+ QRM between stations.

These numbers are consistent with anecdotal observations
that say with good radios and wide antenna spacings
stations can coexist on the same band just fine at the
100 watt  level  without the need for elaborate filtering or
phasing schemes.

Of course this analysis doesn't factor in operator psychology.
This year at our Field Day we kept our GOTA station closer
to the main stations because the GOTA station operators
complained about feeling isolated from the main group in
a prior year when we put them at maximum distance from
the main stations :):)