Re: [TowerTalk] Tower - Guy Wire installation question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower - Guy Wire installation question
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 18:49:58 -0400
In a message dated 7/8/2004 12:52:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Noel"
<yaesurig@msn.com> writes:

> Anyway, this guy/anchor falls about 5 feet
>off and parallel to the side of the house.  She wants me to move the
>anchor closer to the house, a distance of about 2 feet.  This would mean
>that this one guy would not be exactly squared to the tower.  So instead
>of my four guy wires being at 90 degrees to each other, one guy would be
>offset by the two feet.  How much in degrees that will be I'm not sure.
>
>I'm guessing that moving the guy two feet or so wont make much
>difference but I?m not sure.  Can anyone confirm that its' probably safe
>to do so?

Four guys? What's the reason for that? Is this what the manufacturer specified?
The winch anchor is a guy anchor?

As far as you question, yes - you'll probably be okay. I'm sure I'll get some
flack from engineering types but the type of loads that a typical ham tower has
are modest and some minor adaptations won't cause fatal problems. If it was my
tower, I'd do it. It's probably just as important to have the guys properly
tensioned.

Did you consider an elevated guy rather than moving it?

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH