Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Thrust bearing

To: "Chuck Lewis" <clewis@knology.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Thrust bearing
From: "M. Kent Miller" <K4MK@triad.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 17:10:12 -0400
I guess it depends on the individual rotor manufacturer and their theories
....... I quote from the instruction manual for the Create Model RC5A-3

" A bearing or similar item is usually installed at the top of an antenna
tower to prevent the antenna from swaying. Such a bearing must be used only
for this purpose. Using it to support any of the weight of the antenna or
antenna mast would have an adverse effect on the rotor. This is not only
because the rotor is more thrust-effective than the bearing, but also
because eccentricity arising from structural imprecision cannot be absorbed
at the top of the tower and so the resultant waste force would work on the
bearing and rotor. "

I, consequently, let the weight of the antenna and mast rest on the rotator,
while the TB just provides lateral support. Works fine -- the antenna / mast
weigh about 225 lbs. on tower # 3.

On the other two towers I don' t use thrust bearings at all and the weight
rests entirely on the rotor. No failures in 10 years of doing it this way;
the rotators are a Ham IV, a Tailtwister, and the RC5A-3.

I won' t attempt to say what's " right or wrong " - I  just know what works
for me...

73,
Kent - K4MK