Re: [TowerTalk] Ham IV rotor

To: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ham IV rotor
From: Rob Frohne <frohro@wwc.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:02:40 -0700

On Aug 30, 2004, at 9:46 AM, Tower (K8RI) wrote:

Going to less likely

The cable could have been pinched if the tower has been raised and lowered or it could have been pulled loosening one of the connectors.

Failure in the cable itself such as a pinch or cut.
Poor solder joint to the screw terminal strip on the rotor.
Loose crimp on spade lug to wire on terminal strip.

Even less likely would be a connection or the meter itself.

I'm not a fan of quick disconnects unless they are absolutely needed. The wires to the rotor on my system go direct. My reasoning is each addtional joint, splice, or connector contact are another source for failure.

I just have to pipe up here. Just last night I had the same thing, and it turned out to be the Jones connector which has been out in the weather for a long time, after being re-used from my last QTH.

Rob
N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Fellow Tower Talkians:

I've got a Ham IV (1987 vintage that has been overhauled three years ago by Norm's Rotor Service). But I still seem to have problems with it such as wild meter swings, etc.

A few months ago I completely replaced the rotor cable with one that has
2 16 ga and six 18 gage wires in about a 75 foot total run. Now it seems to be on the fritz again. Can't get any readings from the rotor itself at the control box, per using the Telrex/Hygain manual. SHould I step up to a higher gauge wire, which would probably be overkill at such as short distance of 75 ft. total. The cable is attached to my Tri-Ex 50 foot crankup by 3 standoffs bought with the tower.

The connectors on both ends are 8 plug trailer disconnects from Wireman and are each wrapped first in heat shrink tubing, then Scotchcoted, then wrapped in Scotch 33 tape and Scotchcoated again, and finally in a piece of sticky butyl rubber made for weatherproofing large outdoor connectors, and this is Scotchcoated again. I don't think moisture is the problem, just can't seem to isolate what is the problem though.

The system is wired so I can take the rotor control box direct to the rotor and plug it into the rotor pigtail I ran from the 8 screw terminal board to the trailer disconnect.

May have to pull the whole thing down and start over as far as cabling is concerned, However, I will crank the tower down and take the rotor box to the rotor and connect them directly to see if the problem is somewhere in the 75 foot run of rotor cable.

Any suggestions gladly accepted.

Tom, WW5L

Rob Frohne, Ph.D., P.E.
E.F. Cross School of Engineering