Re: [TowerTalk] Ham IV rotor

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ham IV rotor
From: Dave Hachadorian <k6ll@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:37:40 -0700
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:10:41 -0500 Tom Anderson <WW5L@gte.net> writes:

> Fellow Tower Talkians:
>
> I've got a Ham IV (1987 vintage that has been overhauled three years
> ago
> by Norm's Rotor Service).  But I still seem to have problems with it
>
> such as wild meter swings, etc.

The Ham IV manual has a diagnostic procedure, including
resistance and voltage checks, which may help to define
the problem.

When you inspect the rotor, check the four self-tapping
screws that hold the top and bottom halves of the housing
together. See if they are backing out, sheared off, or
missing. These screws are a major weak link in the Ham IV,
especially rebuilt units, because aluminum is removed from
the upper housing each time these screws are removed and
reinstalled. If the two halves of the housing start to
separate, erratic meter movement is the first symptom.

See my previous postings on this subject.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, CA