Re: [Fwd: [TowerTalk] GPS receivers]

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,"towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [TowerTalk] GPS receivers]
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:38:40 -0400
At 08:52 AM 9/20/2004, Jim Brown wrote:
My friends who claim to be educated in matters of GPS say that
because of the manner in which the system is modulated for security
reasons, consumer units are limited to accuracy on the order of several
meters in plan and tens of meters of elevation. A search on google for
GPS accuracy a year or so ago appeared to confirm that my friends
were correct.

I think this is a bit confusing. Before 2003, there was something in place called Selective Availability, which limited civilian GPS systems to tens of meters accuracy, and appears to be what your friends are telling you about. That practice was discontinued then, and civilian systems, unaugmented, should have about the same accuracy as anyone else's, with a given set of satellite data.

The following, from the FAA's web site, may be of general interest:

The Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS) is a GPS-based navigation and landing system that provides precision guidance to aircraft at thousands of airports and airstrips where there is currently no precision landing capability. Systems such as WAAS are known as satellite-based augmentation systems (SBAS). WAAS is designed to improve the accuracy and ensure the integrity of information coming from GPS satellites. The FAA is using WAAS to provide a Lateral Navigation/Vertical Navigation (LNAV/VNAV) capability with commissioning in 2003. Concurrently, the FAA will evaluate the approach to achieve Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) Landing System (GLS) capability in later years. WAAS testing in September 2002 confirmed accuracy performance of 1 ? 2 meters horizontal and 2 ?3 meters vertical throughout the majority of the continental U.S. and portions of Alaska.

Presumably (me again) the current accuracy of non-WAAS GPS receivers would be somewhere between the two extremes.

To get back on the original topic, I don't think anyone associated with HFTA would argue that positioning errors on the order of tens of meters would have a significant effect on the accuracy of HFTA predictions, except in some fairly special cases where significant near-field obstacles are quite close to the antenna system.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
has just been updated
2853 contest stations at