[TowerTalk] J bolts and Plates

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] J bolts and Plates
From: "ISP BNJCOMP COM" <isp@bnjcomp.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:28:55 -0500
I am trying to put up a SSV tower and have aquired leg bolts from Nello.
Problem is that they were suppose to be "EXACT" replacements for ROHN J bolts
but they are not.  Instead these are straight bolts that take "plates"  between
a couple nuts at bottom of bolt  in concrete.  Nello kind of ripped me off as
they did not supply exact replicas but then they want to charge me another $500
to get an engineered plate for the bottom of bolts for my tower they sent me.

So I am trying to find these plates and the specifications on them for similar
towers.  IN all honesty I would like to find much bigger towers with plates at
bottom and then just use the bigger plates to insure the tower is over
engineered.    I guess I could look at Rohn specs on the J bolts and see how
much surface area each of them have in the J portion and make sure I exceed
that..

Nello tells me that Rohn is only Company that uses J bolts and everyone else
uses these bolts and plates.  So I figured there has to be some specs out
there.   Any help would be appreciated.

If you ever buy something from Nello that is suppose to be "exact" replacement
I would strongly suggest you get drawings and check it yourself as they have
some pretty funny "replicas".

Terry