[TowerTalk] Ground radials- the long and short of it

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground radials- the long and short of it
From: "Scott Fike" <kc0bus@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 01:30:49 -0500
Pertaining to a ground-mounted vertical antenna with buried radials a few inches below the surface of the grass:

Do ground radials have to be electrically the same length as the main vertical radiator element?

Example: Take a 1/4 wave 80 meter hamstick stuck vertically in the ground. An 80 meter hamstick is physically about 6' tall but has about 60' of wire wound hellicaly around its 6' core insulator rod. Would it be better to make my ground radials using hamsticks (with their 60' of wire but physically still 6' long overall) or can I use 6' pieces of wire to match the hamsticks physical overall length or should one string out 60' radials?

Some books I've read say: ".... make the ground radials 1/4 wavelength long to match the main 1/4 wavelength long vertical element". Other books and sources say: "..... just make the ground radials as long as you can to fit in the availible space in your yard".

Scott, KC0BUS