Re: [TowerTalk] New Member - Need help with an antenna design

To: "Tim Holmes" <W8TAH@Zoominternet.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New Member - Need help with an antenna design
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:30:37 -0700
Unfortunately, it is up on the roof now (better than 5 feet off the ground
on the fence).. But.. they're wound on some sort of ceramic forms about 4-5
inches long and 2" in diameter. The winding is something like AWG 20 and
closewound about 3" long. (maybe 60-100 turns?)  I suspect that one could
get the Wheeler (for solenoid inductance) and Medhurst (for self C)
equations and fool around until you got the right L and C for the trap.

There's some articles on the web about making coiled coax traps with design
equations that might be useful.

I have to say that the antenna isn't all that wonderful on 75/80, but that's
more a function of it's location (close to the ground and houses) than the
inherent design.

Overall, the antenna is about 80 feet long.