Re: [TowerTalk] insurance claims

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] insurance claims
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:19:56 EST
In a message dated 12/29/04 5:41:10 PM Greenwich Standard Time,
w8ji@contesting.com writes:
When I have a small claim under a few thousand dollars, I
just pay it. The savings in my policy premiums from having a
high deductible help offset any payouts from my own pocket,
so I basically stay even.
In Florida, the main hazard we are concerned with is the hurricane and we
MUST maintain a big deductable. It is just about impossible to get lower than a
two to five percent deductible for hurricane insurance in Florida.  The
hurricane insurance is generally a separate insurance policy from the regular
policy
and carries an extra premium.

That two to five percent deductible can extend well into the five digit
range.  Now multiply that figure by three storms, which is what some people got
hit
with down here.

Lots of hams down here never did get to the threshold of the deductible and
just ate several thousand in tower damage, not by choice, but by the way
insurance is written down here.

I sustained lots of damage to my antennas, from the storms, but did not claim
it, since you can bet you butt I would have been up for a cancellation and
thrown into the non-desirable pool.  The pool is covered by a Florida State
subsidized company that charges maxi rates and provide mini service.  At least
can get coverage on my towers, three miles south of me my company doesn't
insure towers or antennas.

We are waiting for the mass exodus of insurance companies wanting to leave FL
this spring.  At the moment the companies are barred from leaving for six
months and must renew all policies, auto and home included until then.  After
that, it will be interesting.

Bill K4XS