Re: [TowerTalk] "Wire"less antenna connection

To: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>,"Jim Miller" <JimMiller@STL-Online.Net>,"TOWERTALK" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "Wire"less antenna connection
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:33:13 -0500
Yeah, and imagine how much fun it'll be to file the insurance claim when all that expensive stuff gets fried by a lightning hit.

73, Pete N4ZR

At 02:59 PM 1/21/2005, Jim Lux wrote:

At 06:23 AM 1/21/2005, Jim Miller wrote:

> So, when are radios going to start using optical links (like TOSlink)?
Yes,
> the cables are pricey (for no good reason... they're cheap 1000 micron
> plastic fibers), but ZERO ground loop potential.
>
> Jim, W6RMK

Eliminate all wires to the tower.  Use wi-fi to send digitized audio to the
tower base for input to the auto-tuning amplifier.  Rotor control also.
Supply AC power only and eliminate coax loss, lightning threat.

I am working on this approach right now, but it will hardly be ready for field day this year.

'rmk