Re: [TowerTalk] "Wire"less antenna connection

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>,"Jim Miller" <JimMiller@STL-Online.Net>,"TOWERTALK" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "Wire"less antenna connection
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:31:15 -0500
I confess that, not being technically trained, I try to compensate for my engineering deficiencies by keeping things simple. Rather than bet on my ability to achieve good lightning grounding in my second-floor shack, I disconnect all conductors coming from my tower. I'd just as soon have as little expensive stuff on the tower side of the disconnect as possible.

Regarding insurance, in my case, a direct hit on the tower took out two rotators, a stackmatch and a remote antenna switch. The insurance company did not distinguish between those items and the couple of things in the house that were damaged, all attached to a wired Ethernet network. YMMV...

73, Pete N4ZR

At 08:27 AM 1/22/2005, Jim Lux wrote:

>From a technical standpoint, it actually might be easier to lightning
protect than the usual ham installation.  The electronics is fairly dense,
can be placed in a shielding metal box/shelter that is compact, and has
appropriate transient suppression, etc.  At least you don't have to worry
about induced voltage carried on transmission lines, etc.

As for whether fried equipment in a box at the tower is different than fried
equipment in your house making a difference for insurance... I have no idea.

Interesting aspect to the problem...