[TowerTalk] FW: 4square/spitfire second thought

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: 4square/spitfire second thought
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 06:09:17 -0500
An early-morning second thought...

kk9k wrote:

>I want to try this antenna as my marginal cost will be zero.  I have 4 33'
>verticals, an Ameritron RSC 8-V switch and plenty of radial wire and coax
>on hand.
>
>Any info on design and tuning will be appreciated.  I believe the design
>has 3 "reflectors" that use the inductive reactance of the open feedline to
>make them "reflectors,"  right.  How long should the feedlines be?  I can
>tune with the MFJ 259B.
>
>Any models out there to tell me what to expect?

In my earlier comment, I suggested an array of dipoles instead, fed
per the ARRL handbook through 3/8 wavelength feedlines routed to a
center commonpoint feed.

Right after hitting enter, I realized you could do the same thing with
ground mounted quarter wave verticals, spaced about a center point.
That is, feed each one with 3/8 wave lines, routed to a center switch.
>From that point, run one feedline.  Isolate the feeders, as with the
dipoles...
and the result would be 3 reflectors and one DE.

That would be worth modelling, although I don't have time to play with
same, at the moment.

N2EA
jimjarvis@ieee.org