Re: [TowerTalk] 4square/spitfire alternative

To: jimjarvis@ieee.org
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4square/spitfire alternative
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 07:30:17 -0500
I run the type of array that Jim describes on 80 (with the bottom halves of
the dipoles brought back to the bottom of the tower), using the dimensions
in K3LR's August 1994 QST article, and am quite pleased with it.  I have
built a number of models, both with the antenna alone and with my tower in
the middle.  There is a good deal of current on the tower in the models,
which suggests to me that it contributes usefully to F/B ratio.  Also,
there is a certain amount of current on the longest set of guy wires, which
may detract a bit.  In practice, I find that F/B can be as high as 35 dB on
high-angle signals, and on DX, it is quite common for the DX to be
inaudible when the antenna is pointed 180 degrees away.  The front lobe is
quite broad, so that often switching just 90 degrees away will have
relatively little effect.

Re modeling, if you use transmission lines in NEC-2, the result is pretty
high gain but indifferent F/B ratio.  However, NEC-2 transmission lines are
lossless, and if you substitute loads with the characteristics of the same
length of RG-8X, the calculated gain drops about a dB but the F/B ratio
improves substantially.

The models indicate, and experience seems to prove, that this array works
quite well for several hundred KHz above the resonant frequency of the
dipoles.  I use it to good effect in the 75m DX window, even though my
dipoles are cut for 3525.  However, 100 KHz below the resonant frequency,
the pattern is essentially omnidirectional.

Just one final comment on the limited space issue.  If you hang these
dipoles from rope, you will discover that the array requires quite a large
circle for the outer attachment points of the ropes -- I would estimate
about a 125-foot-radius circle for 80m.  This is because the required
tension on the ropes goes up very rapidly as you try to pull the top halves
of the dipoles straight at the required angle, due to the weight of the
feedlines.  If you can incorporate the top halves of the dipoles into your
top guys (as W9LT/WA7LT, who first showed me this array, does), then you
can get around this problem.

73, Pete N4ZR